Adam Gilchirst



Couple of days back I was watching an IPL match when a Vodafone ad flashing below the scores caught my eye. The ad gave a number where callers can call in and talk to DC captain - Adam Gilchrist the next day at 11.30 am. I called in the next day on that number and I was informed to stay on the queue and my chance to talk to Gilly would arrive soon. Meanwhile I could listen to other callers posing questions and Gilly answering on the line. I was waiting with butterflies in my stomach thinking about what question I would post. 4 minutes passed and my call got disconnected. I realized later that Vodafone charged me Rs. 12 per minute and hence I Iost Rs. 48 from my account, my account balance dropped to Rs. 7 and so they could no longer deduct Rs. 12 and hence disconnected my call. This was the closest I ever got to talking to Adam Gilchrist - my most favorite cricketer in the whole wide world.

I knew that if I ever wrote a blog, atleast 1 post would be dedicated to him and here it is. I can't remember when I first saw Gilly play but I think it was the 1999 world cup. My dad being a huge fan of Gilchrist would often be praising him and I guess thats how he caught my attention. He played an amazing knock in the 1999 World cup finals. Australia won the cup and I started following Australian cricket closely. Gilly and Steve Waugh were my favorites.

2003 World cup arrived and Australia were playing Sri Lanka in the semis. Australia was batting first and needed to put up a good total and every one knows what a difference Gilly can make if he stays on. I don't remember what score was he on, he faced a delivery, there was supposedly a nick and the wicket keeper caught the ball and appealed. The umpire wasn't sure of the nick and was still deliberating but mostly inclined towards giving the batsman a benefit of doubt. Gilly walked off. Every one including the Sri Lankan team were surprised. For heaven's sake, this was a world cup semi final and Australia could have been out of the world cup had they lost. Australia won the match and the cup. Gilly played beautifully in the finals against India and I think no one's going to forget the hammering he dealt out to the Indian bowlers in the final. When asked about why did he decide to walk, he simply said because his conscience told him "Go. Walk". He had to face some cold shoulders in the dressing room, but he continued to walk in any and every match when he knew he was out. My respect and admiration for him grew even more post 2003 semi finals.

What I love the most about him as a player is his sportsmanship. I have never see him sledge or vent anger. He has always enjoyed his game and that shows on his smiling face. He is a big shot player and you hardly ever see him on the defensive. He has been voted the most dangerous batsman to bowl to by the world bowlers. To watch him play those 4s and 6s is the most exciting thing in cricket for me. I would not turn on my TV to watch someone score a 200 in ODI or 400 in tests; I only turn it on to watch Gilly play.
He is fearless, flamboyant, almost boyish in his enthusiasm and cruel if you are an opposition bowler.

Steve Waugh mentioned in his autobiography that Gilly is one of the best keeper batsman the world has seen. And his batting is so damn good that it easily overshadows his wicket keeping. But he is one of the finest keepers in cricket. He has had to adjust to the bowling-machine precision of Glenn McGrath, the spin of Shane Warne, the pace of Brett Lee and myriads of other bowlers and he has always done it deftly. As a captain, he led Australia to their first victory on the Indian soil after many years (Ricky Ponting was out due to health reasons and couldn't captain). He led DC to victory last year in the IPL and wish he does it this year as well.

As a person, from what I have read of him, I know he is a very good human being. He loves his wife Mel and his 3 kids (who are just as cute as him). He donates to children's charity in India and may be even other parts of the world.

I stopped following Australian cricket (or cricket, for that matter) ever since Gilly retired. In any match, I turn off the TV as soon as Gilly is out (unless my brother is at home and scolds me saying " We are watching cricket and not just Gilchrist"). He is just so enjoyable to watch. Cricket is just not the same without him. I wish I can meet him someday and tell him how much I have loved him for being such an amazing cricketer and a great person.

Comments

  1. Hmmm... I think we had talked about it once... I considered him to be a super hero until he came up with those remarks about Sachin in his autobiography. His fairy tale of a career did not deserve such a petty controversy right at the end.

    Had it been anybody other than Gilchrist, it would have been very difficult to forget about the controversy. But his years of sincerity and dedication towards the game made it really easy to forget about it all. He continues to be the best wicket keeper, one of the best strikers of the ball and a super hero... hope you meet him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilchrist was indeed an explosive batsman and a very good keeper. Dedicated and a team man. I give you that.

    But Gilchrist-always-walks? Always?
    I would never believe that. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last I heard, gilly is cold, give him a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anuj - Thanks for calling Gilly a super hero :). He deserves every accolade he has earned. Regarding the Sachin controversy, well I haven't read Gilly's autobiography and can't really say anything about it unless I do. But I want to believe it was blown out of context.

    @Samuh - Thanks for the comment:) If you are trying to take a literal meaning out of 'walk' (which most likely you are), in that case I assure you Gilly doesn't walk in his sleep. So, no he doesn't always walk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment