...Always


Severus Snape shows off his patronus and it is a silver doe...same as Lily's. Dumbledore turns to Snape and asks "After all these years?". Snape answers "Always". He loved Lily. Always did.
The scene in the movie where Snape reaches Godric's hollow after Voldemort has killed Lily and James is one of the most heartbreaking scenes ever. Snape wandering through the ruins of the home to find Lily sprawled dead on the floor. He falls down besides her, hugs her and cries. A Snape most people never imagined could have existed, but somehow I knew it before Rowling revealed. And that is why I love Snape. Always.

People saw what he let them see. He was a skilled Occlumen. Greasy black hair, black robes, crooked nose, fewer words, head of Slytherin, a death eater once who was never trusted by anyone other than Dumbledore, loathed by students and other Professors alike. He chose never to reveal his side of the story to anyone other than Dumbledore. He forbade Dumbledore from ever revealing it to Harry. "I will never reveal the best of you" Dumbledore gave his word to Snape. Perhaps it was Snape's way of remorse for the fact that he once allied with the man who killed the only woman he ever loved.

His death shocked me. Not even Dumbledore's death had that effect. I loved the scene in the movie where Harry reaches out to a dying Snape and Snape, for the first time, looks Harry in the eye and says "You have your mother's eyes". I loved the fact that Harry, years later, names his son Albus Severus Potter and tells him "You were named after two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was the bravest man I ever knew."

His story is depicted beautifully in the books and the movie. I love his courage and his unfaltering love. He lived all his life knowing that no one knows him for what he truly was. He lived his life knowing he could never share it with anyone. He wanted people to hate him as much as he hated himself. He hated that people thought him to be a coward. A killer. A man who killed Dumbledore. Rowling wrote "Severus, please" as Dumbledore's last words. People believed it to be "Severus, please save me" when they meant "Severus, please kill me". He promised Dumbledore once that he would do anything for Lily. He did everything for Lily.

I came across a comment about Snape which said "He was a Slytherin who died like a Gryffindor". He lived like a Gryffindor. Brave at heart. And he had a wonderful heart.

Comments

  1. You have followed him closely. Havent read the last book myself since Dumbledore died in 6th.
    After reading this post of your, maybe I will read the last book.

    Anyways, here is the hierarchy, reiterated:
    I like Snape.
    I like Dumbledore more.
    Gandalf is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do read the book and watch the movie too. If Snape's past shows the best of him, Dumbledore's past shows the worst of him. It may not change your opinion as it did nothing for my liking for Dumbledore either. But do read and let me know if your hierarchy changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read the last book... now I understand your fascination with Snape's character :)

    @P1: If you liked Snape without reading the last book, then he will surely move up the hierarchy once you read it. (IMHO watch the movie before reading the book)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Binu and Anuj for reading.
    @Anuj - Curious. Why would you suggest watching the movie before reading the book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that if you have already read the book it deteriorates your movie viewing experience to some extent. Of course the same argument can be made vice versa. But I dont think it will hold true in case of this movie. The reason: The movie relegates the most important parts of the whole series to a 2 min flashback and a few shabbily assembled scenes. One is left confused (but at the same time the movie creates an impact). It makes the viewer all the more curious to read the book to tie up the loose ends together. Also, that is how I think the whole Harry Potter experience should end - by reading the last book.
    Thats my theory, now only if P1 obliges and tests it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment