An incredible leap of faith - Skydiving!

Skydiving has been one of my "things to do before I die" and today, I finally took my leap of faith :)

I have been talking of wanting to skydive since over a year now as far as I can remember. Few months back I even researched on the skydiving centers in New York but never executed my plan. Then finally before the May 28th weekend I was completely frustrated with my work, the monotony of life, loneliness and decided I need something really crazy, something that would bring the thrill of living on the edge and a bit of zing to the mundane existence I have been putting up with. 

I made reservations at Long Island Skydiving center in East Moriches, NY for May 26th, 2012. But my project went into an escalation and it was decided we have to work over the weekend of the 26th. So, I moved my reservation to 2nd June, 2012. Once again, I couldn't get out of work and had to move the reservation to today, 9th June 2012. Work wasn't the only thing intent upon wrecking up my plans. On the very weekend of May 26th, there was one of  the most viewed video on Youtube titled "Skydiving goes wrong: 80 year old granny falls out of the harness" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtb3N7eqejM). It did scare me and gave me second thoughts. But I had already paid my deposit of 50$ which would not be refunded if I cancelled. But more than the 50$, I was adamant to throw caution to the wind and do what I have really really wanted to do for so long.

Yesterday, June 8th 2012, I was simply excited and waiting for the moment to arrive. The youtube video didn't bother me at all. I wasn't afraid, just excited and nervous and waiting to experience it. But there was another possibility of a dampener. I checked the weather for East Moriches and it predicted thunderstorm and rain for June 9th. I was worried I will have to re-schedule again and I really didn't want that. I kept checking the weather every hour. I prayed to god and slept hoping the weather will be on my side today morning. There were reviews that I read on google that said, on occasions, people went to the skydiving center, were asked to wait due to bad weather, they waited for over 3 hours only to be disheartened when the weather didn't budge. They had to go back home with nothing. East Moriches is 2.5 hours away from my home. If weather played a spoil sport, it would be horrible to travel 5 hours, wait for god knows how long and return home dejected. Thankfully, the weather decided to co-operate.

I woke up today at 6.30. Got ready and called up Long Island Skydiving to make sure the weather was ok and they were carrying on with skydiving as planned. They affirmed. I took the 7.21am train to Jamaica and then the 8.10 from Jamaica to Montauk. I reached Speonk at 9.35am, took a cab and was at the center by 9.50 am. I filled up the forms that basically said that in an event of any injuries, fatal or otherwise, it would all be my responsibility and I wouldn't be suing them. They videotaped me reading the form and signing it too. Then I was asked to wait at a picnic table area. There was a group of friends who were filing their forms in the picnic table area and they asked me if I was alone. I said yes. They said they were proud of me for being so brave. They admired me for having the guts to do it alone and I admired them for not having the need to do it alone. 

A van picked me up from there and dropped me a few miles away at the hangar. I walked out and a handsome guy came forward to introduce himself as my instructor and diving partner. His name is Nick Byers. He was tall, good looking and at the same time endearing and warm. He put the harness around me, tightened the belts, gave me goggles to wear on my specs. He asked me how old I was while admitting that he knew he shouldn't be asking this question. He admired the fact that I was doing this alone there and asked me "Why does this little girl want to jump out of a plane?". I said I always wanted to do it and today is the day. 

We walked to a plane. It was a tiny plane which just fitted me, Nick and another guy with his instructor. I was still not scared at all. I had expected my heart-beat to shoot up but it didn't. I was calm on the plane. Nick talked to me about various things making sure I was at ease and not too worried. Some snippets that I remember from our conversation on the plane:

Nick: Have you always been in NY?
Me: I am from India. I have been in NY since the past 2 years.
Nick: What do you do?
Me: I am a Technology Lead. I work on iPhone and iPad apps.
Nick: Cool. Were you doing this back in India as well?
Me: Yeah.
Nick: So how long will you be here in US?
Me: Depends on my project and visa expiration. 
Nick: Do you miss home?
Me: Yeah, but I talk to my family everyday twice, so its been ok.
Nick: What do you miss the most?
Me: My brother.
Nick: How old is he?
Me: He is 18 (20, oops)
Nick: So you miss playing the older sister :)
I was traveling in South East Asia for about 2 months to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore and I loved the food there. I miss the asian food here. The flavors there are amazing.
Me: Yeah, me too. I love the food. When I went in jan for a vacation for 2 weeks, I hogged on a lot of my favorite food.
How many jumps have you had?
Nick: How many do you want to hear to make you feel comfortable?
Me: I am comfortable. I trust you completely.
Nick: I have had about 3500 so far.
Me: You absolutely love it, don't you?
Nick: Wouldn't do it if I didn't!

We were steadily climbing higher in the plane. Nick was pointing out the views outside and continuing small talk ensuring that I was comfortable, which was really sweet of him. When it was about 4 minutes before diving out, Nick attached my harness to his at the shoulders and the hip. He told me to have my hand on my shoulders when we jump, lean back my head and move my legs back. He would tap on my shoulder during the jump and at that point I should release my hands and put them at 90 degrees. And in the end he added "Even if you forget everything I asked you to do, don't worry, I'll take care of you.". 

We reached about 10,000 feet. They opened the door of the plane and the other guy jumped with his instructor. The wind was harsh and cold. Then me and Nick moved to the door. Nick said I have to put my foot on the plank outside, do what he said and then he would shout "Oh my god" and thats when we jump. I put my foot down on the plank, he shouted, we jumped and we both screamed in excitement.

The first 30 sec are free fall. You are moving down at about 100-120 mph. The chill wind is hitting your face hard. Your ears pop out. Its as if you have no control over any of your senses. Nick tapped me on my shoulder but I just couldn't put my hand at 90 degrees. I forgot all about it. If I were diving alone, I wonder if I would even be able to open the parachute and that's why I always knew I would go for a tandem dive. 

After about 30 sec, Nick opened up the parachute. You feel a bit of jerk as it opens and then its as if someone said the spell "Arresto Momentum". The free fall is broken and you are just gliding in the sky and it is now that you have the leisure to examine the views. The Atlantic ocean, the Hampton beaches, the greenery, the roads. Nick gave me the handles to the parachute. You pull on the right one to make it turn right and similar with left and it was a lot of fun. You see your legs just dangling thousands of feet above the ground and its a feeling like no other. You are just meandering through the skies like a bird, free from the shackles of the earth below, admiring the farthest of lands and waters not through the windows of a plane, but through the lenses of your very eyes. I never wanted the moment to end. 

We were gliding down and it was time to land. It was a smooth landing. Nick landed on his feet and then I brought my feet down to touch the ground. I was exuberant. I told Nick it was incredible and I never wanted it to end. I thanked him for getting me back safely. He unhooked my harness. We bade our goodbyes. I was back in the van and reached their office. They gave me the DVD of my dive and a CD with pictures. 

The skydive lasted for about 5 minutes. But they will be one of the most unforgettable 5 mins of my life. I reached home, but feels like I am still on cloud-9.











Comments

Post a Comment