The sweetest thing

I was discussing a work issue with my colleague Matt today when his phone rang. He picked it up and the conversation went as below:

(Of course, this is just Matt's side of conversation)

Hey
How was your day?
I was just discussing about some issue. I will leave in some time.  
Its nice to hear your voice.
Love you.
Bye.

I assumed it was his wife on the other end and so it was.
He hung up and said to me "Its crazy. This is my first call of the day". I blinked and just stared wondering if he meant that he hadn't talked to anyone on phone all day. But what he meant was that he hadn't talked to his wife all day. He continued "Imagine not talking to your spouse even once during the day. Thats bad.". I still just looked at him a little bewildered and smiled because to me that was the sweetest thing I have heard a guy say about his wife in real life in a long time.

Matt lives with his wife and they have a beautiful daughter. Matt is in office by 8 or 9 am and leaves at 5 pm. So, its not like he doesn't spend any time with his family or doesn't get to see his wife everyday. He does. And my guess is he has been married for at least 3-4 years. So, the whole 'distance makes the heart grow fonder' was not the criteria here. He genuinely felt bad that he didn't spend a little time of his busy day talking sweet nothings to his wife. And that is what makes it so endearing and adorable. He could have easily not picked up the phone, not returned her call, gone home, told her he was in a meeting and its no big deal they didn't talk during the day as they can always talk when they are home. But he did pick up the phone. That to me, was the sweetest thing of my day.

Comments