Lake George, NY

Last year I visited the Finger lakes region of NY and I was smitten by the region: http://hetalvora.blogspot.com/2014/09/finger-lakes-ny.html

Some time earlier this year I visited the Catskill region of NY and I fell in love with the little villages, lakes and the solitude of the place.

Earlier in May of this year, I visited Vermont and the beauty of the place took my breath away:
http://hetalvora.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-green-mountain-state.html

I love the East coast of United States. I love NYC and have lived in Long Island for about 2 years. I have fallen even more in love with upstate NY and further northern state of Vermont. So, whenever an occasion arises where I can get away for the weekend, I love to get away to some place northeast because I am pretty much guaranteed a view that I cannot take my eyes off of.
So, for the Labor day weekend this year, I packed my bags to head off to Lake George in upstate NY with couple of friends. Lake George is the largest lake in the Adirondacks spanning a long 32.2 miles and dissolving into Lake Champlain in Vermont. There is a charming Village of Lake George situated on its southern banks filled with cute little shops, restaurants, motels, beaches and a host of activities for anyone visiting.

I looked through a lot of hotels and motels before zeroing in on the Brookside Motel on Canada St of the village of Lake George. Its cheap and very close to the lake. But now having visited the place, I can say that any motel or hotel you can find on Canada St (or any street near it) is perfectly good because you will be right across the street from the lake and all of the shops and restaurants are right on this street. And don't bother if its a cheap motel with basic amenities because you are likely going to spend all of your time in or around the lake.

We reached our motel late on Friday night and went straight to bed. The next morning we headed out to look for breakfast and got our first glimpse of the village. We couldn't wait to get out of our cars and just walk those nice little streets. We happened to find this amazing cafe called Cafe Vero which serves the most delicious breakfast and lattes around. It was our go-to place for breakfast for the rest of the trip. Try their amazing pancakes, German chocolate latte or even a simple hot chocolate and you will go back for more. The place is packed during breakfast hours but the wait time was never more than 15 minutes. I also loved the energy and decor of this little cafe.


Hot chocolate at Cafe Vero

 After breakfast, we parked the car on one of the streets and just walked to the Million dollar beach and continued walking around the lake. We decided to get some swimming gear and jump into the crystal clear blue waters of the lake. So we shopped around for some swim wear and spent a blissful afternoon swimming in the cool lake. We were starting to feel a little hungry and so we grabbed some juice at this nice little juice place in the Village Mall. Located downstairs in the mall is an Indian restaurant called Taste of India. Despite its bad reviews, we decided to give it a try. I will just say this - the owner cares more about the money. She doesn't care so much about the food and neither should you.

We went back to the motel to rest a little and then went out again for the evening. We booked a fireworks cruise for the night, but before that we had to grab some good food. We went to an Italian place called Mezzaluna which served us an amazing veggie pizza and panini. After dinner, we pretty much had to rush to get on board our 1.5 hour fireworks cruise. The fireworks were brilliant and we were also entertained by the musicians on the cruise and the crowd that was dancing jovially to the music.


Fireworks as seen from the cruise


 The next morning we had another amazing breakfast at Cafe Vero. We then drove to Prospect mountain which is less than 15 minutes from the Cafe. You can even hike the mountain, but we decided to drive to the top. You can sit on the rocks or on one of the picnic benches and enjoy the view of the gorgeous lake.


View from atop Prospect mountain

We headed down soon and headed back to the Village mall and down the stairs to Parasail Joe's. This was the activity we were all waiting to do. We bought our tickets and there was some time to kill before going parasailing. So, we went to a place called Lanes and Games for some bowling. I am terrible at bowling but I love to do it. I enjoy it a lot even though I am the lowest scorer almost always. An hour of bowling and we headed back to be on time for our parasail adventure.
Another round of juice at the Village mall juice shop, and we sat by the lake and enjoyed some quiet time admiring the place and then left to board our boat. There were 9 of us who jetted off on the boat that was also going to be our take off and landing pad for parasailing.

I went in at the end. The boat guy, Alex, fit the harness around me. The yellow smiling parachute was waiting. He clamped my harness to the parachute and off I went. The boat pulled the parachute and I was flying atop the gorgeous blue lake. The noises below are pretty much muted and its just you, the sky on top, the lake below and the scenic views all around you. The sun was mild. The warmth and the light were melting away. The lake below was dense blue and cool. After a nice 10 minutes or so, the boat started pulling down on the parachute and I landed back on the boat feeling a sense of joy and calm. 


Parasailing

It was time for dinner and we landed at the Tandoori Grill for a buffet. After some delicious food, we walked around the village for some time before heading back to the motel.

The next morning we checked out. But before driving home, it was time for one more delicious brunch at Cafe Vero. 

Lake George has something for everyone. Arcade games, lake, water sports, hiking, biking, beaches, swimming, restaurants, parks.  I can't stop gushing about how amazing my trip was to anyone who wants to listen. If you haven't visited this place yet, stop reading, pack your bags and head there because winter is coming.

Comments