Key to the Atlantic

A 3-day excursion to Miami and Key West left me mesmerized and hungry for more. Did I mention that I love water bodies? Ponds, lakes, rivers, streams, brooks - anything is good with me. As a kid whenever I came across a well, I would run to it and gaze down into the water to see what secrets lie there, how deep it was and did it house any turtles. The Florida Keys region flaunts the Gulf of Mexico to the west and the Atlantic ocean to the east and this is water aplenty to sate my eyes.

After landing in Miami on a friday morning with couple of friends, we rented a car and drove to the nearest Indian restaurant in Miami for some lunch. Bombay Darbar serves delicious Indian food with a great ambience to go with it. After a hearty lunch, we got onto the Overseas Highway and started driving towards the Florida Keys. Our hotel was in Key Largo, the northernmost of the Keys. We were staying at Amy Slate's Amoray Dive resort. Its a wonderful little hotel with clean rooms, a nice little pool, a dock and some lounge chairs where you can sit and gaze upon the Blackwater Sound. A dip in the pool, followed by some Chinese food followed by lounging on those chairs gazing at the water and the stars in the night time concluded a perfect first day. 

The next day began with this view



and this.



The sun was beaming on the Blackwater Sound matching the happiness I felt just to be in the presence of this vista.

It was time for breakfast and this little Cuban place delighted my palate. The Juice House, a 5-min drive away from our hotel is an unassuming cafe serving delicious cuban style breakfast. Their cuban bread made fresh served warm with butter and a Cafe con leche (Coffee with milk) to go with it were my absolute favorite. The ladies who ran the cafe were warm and friendly which adds to the charm. Absolutely recommend it if you ever visit the area.

After breakfast, we started off for Key West, the southernmost of the Keys. Its a 2 hour drive on the Overseas Highway from Key Largo to Key West and this one is a scenic drive. You drive through all of the Florida Keys on your way and a special mention to the 7-mile bridge which was absolutely stunning. While the food and the drive were going well, I was yearning to dip my feet into that gorgeous teal water. We reached Fort Zachary Taylor State Park in Key West. As soon as we parked, I wanted to run like a child to the beach and take a dip. I did the adult thing which was to get changed, hide my eagerness and gradually enter the cool blue water. The next hour or so was pure bliss.




I reluctantly got out of the water to do some sight seeing. There is a nice little Mallory Square just a couple of blocks away from the park where you stroll around, look at the little shops and street performers and may be get a snow cone or a bite. There also stood a Titanic-esque cruise from Disney docked by the waterfront adorned with some golden swirls looking like a majestic Disney beast.




After a little strolling, it was time to head back to Key Largo. A nice Italian dinner served by an Edward Norton/Nicholas Cage look-alike waiter finished the day. It was raining that night and hence we couldn't lounge around. But I did that the next morning - the day we had to head back home.


We went to The Juice House for another delectable breakfast. We had some time before the flight and we decided to spend it in Miami. We drove to Bayfront Park in Miami downtown, parked the car and just walked around the Miami river and the streets for the next 2 hours. Adequately tired with our little walk, we got back into the car and drove to the Miami airport and a little while later we were heading home. 

I remember the brine tingling my skin from the dip in the water in Key West. I remember the gentle cool water caressing me against the warm sun. I remember the stars as I gazed from those lounge chairs. I remember the warmth of the bread and coffee and the friendly zealous ladies from the Juice House. I want a little more of that. Miami and Florida Keys deserve a longer visit and rest assured I will be greeting it soon with one. 

Comments

Post a Comment