A little bit of NYC

I jump at the chance of visiting NYC always. This time it was my brother's friend who was visiting me and she had never been to NYC before. So, even though I had less than a day's worth of time, I decided to take her to NYC with couple of other friends to show her the city that has a special place in my heart. 

However much I love NYC, I wouldn't want to drive in the city. So, we decided to stay somewhere close to NYC which is cheaper and connected via public transport to Manhattan. We booked at Rodeway Inn in Secaucus, NJ.  It is a basic hotel that offers free parking, free breakfast and has an NJ transit bus stop at a 2 mins walking distance. So, we drove to Secaucus, checked in to the hotel and took an NJ transit bus which drops you at Port Authority Bus terminal in Manhattan. 

We took a subway down to South Ferry Station and decided to explore Wall St and the surrounding area first. We walked past the iconic Bull statue with people trying to mount it from all sides in search of a perfect picture. Not wanting to indulge in the craziness, I decided to photograph a smaller replica instead.



We walked past the bull, walked into Wall St and back walking past the beautiful Trinity church. We started feeling hungry at this point and decided to go to an Indian restaurant nearby for lunch. Benares on Murray St. was terrific. The Indian food it served us was delicious. We indulged in Misal Pav, Paneer and Roti. The best part of the meal however were the desserts. The Orange Panna Cotta was sublime. But it was the Chocolate lava cake with Rose petal Ice-cream that took the cake.

Truly sated, we walked to the One World Trade center tower. I was in awe of the grand fountain structure constructed near the tower. The tragedy of an epic proportion needed a monument of epic proportion too and this beautiful site is uniquely calming and empowering to behold. We walked back to the ferry terminal to take the Staten Island Ferry and catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty en route. 

The Staten Island ferry is a free ferry helping people commute from Manhattan to Staten Island and vice versa. For people on a budget or time constraint who still want to catch a closer look at the Statue of Liberty, this ferry is a wonderful option.



It was evening time and the Statue of Liberty was standing tall against the evening light.



The city skyline never ceases to impress me. I still get as excited looking at NYC as if it were the first time.

  

After the ferry ride it was nearly dark. So, we took the subway into mid-town and walked to Times Square. I am no fan of the crowd, but this is one place where I don't mind being swept up and swallowed by all the things going on. It never gets old and it is never the same. I was walking around with a friend who had sat near those red steps for nearly 2 hours once waiting for someone. He said his ass prints might still be present there :)

We took the bus back to the hotel and next day we drove back home. A very short trip to NYC was concluded and I had no idea that a longer one was on the way fairly soon. 

Comments

  1. Nice blog and written article is good. I really like your blog. I am working in Car towing service company. I shared this post with my friend. Every picture is beautiful. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment